Mount Misery and Mile Marker Ten are works of fiction, but they are based on real events that took place in and around Ellicott City, Maryland in 1908 and 1909. Many of the characters are real, although the dialogue and situations are fictionalized. All of the quoted newspaper articles are real.
Cover painting by Maryland artist, Bonita Glaser. Ms. Glaser's work can be viewed and purchased at the Ellicott City Artist's Gallery.
Detailed Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps were made approximately every five years. They are available here.
On display in the Trolley Stop restaurant.
Good food, generous portions!
This was taken prior to the 2018 flood, approaching Ellicott City from Oella. In winter and early spring, as you walk across the bridge, look up and to the right for a good view of Angelo Cottage (Castle).
Between 1745 and 1760, a turnpike was established across Maryland to provide a land route between the port city of Baltimore and the mostly-German settlement of Fredericktown,
some fifty miles to the west. Stone markers were erected every mile along the north side of the road. Many remain to this day. Mile Marker Ten sits just to the west of the Patapsco River—in the shadow of the B&O railroad bridge.
Today, Mile marker Ten sits in front of Georgia Grace Cafe. (Go there often.)
From a postcard ca. 1905
Photo ca. 1912
Police Chief Julius Wosch ca. 1909. From a photo on display at the Howard County Police Museum in Ellicott City (on Hamilton St.)
Chief Wosch's residence, ca. 1909, also serving as the Ellicott City Police Headquarters.
Today the building houses Curious Minds Toy Store.
Norton's Pharmacy postcard depicting Ellicott City B&O Train Station in late 19th century. Today the building houses a museum. Note Angelo's Cottage (castle) on the hill in the background.
The building on Maryland Avenue that used to be Dorsey's Livery (where Billy Hatwood worked). Today it is the Antique Depot. St. Paul's Catholic Church (where the O'Flynn's would have worshiped) is on the hill in the background.
Main Street, 1904. Looking down from in front of the Howard House Hotel.
Howard House Apartments Today. The annex to the left houses the Pure Wine Cafe. Their outdoor balcony overlooking Main Street and Columbia Pike is a delightful place to enjoy a beverage and a hummus plate.
The Ellicott City Times building was on Main Street between the rock outcropping and Odd Fellows Hall. The current brick structure was built in the 1930s.
Newspaper photograph from the era shows the intersection of Main Street and Columbia Pike. Howard House at left.
The old building for Oella Mill (formerly Union Manufacturing Company). This building burned down in 1918 and was replaced by the present structure, which now houses apartments. This photo is taken from across the Patapsco River and shows the short railroad spur used for deliveries and shipments.
In the first chapter, The Chemist crosses the river on the narrow catwalk on the side of the bridge.
Easton Sons Undertakers building is now the Bean Hollow coffee shop. It is built on top of the Tiber River, which can be seen just to the right. It was devastated in both the 2016 and 2018 floods.
Milton Easton (Daniel's brother) standing in the back. Clinton Easton and Charles Debosier seated. Photo from 1927.
Howard County Courthouse, ca. 1900
The Ellicott City Jail on Emory Street
Looking up Church Road from Main Street. The firehouse is now a museum. Easton's Hall used to be a short way up on the left. It is now an empty lot across from the back of Pure Wine Cafe (Howard House Annex).
Emory Street (where the jailhouse is) is a short block up Church Road on the left. At the end of the stretch, just before the road twists to the left, is the entrance to Angelo Cottage.
A recent article about Angelo's Cottage (now called Castle Angelo) from the Howard County Times (formerly Ellicott City Time) can be found here. More nice photos can be found here.